Before having to cut grains, dairy, sugar, soy and some nightshades out of my diet (to prevent/help heal leaky gut, hormone issues and immune system issues) one of my favorite dishes to splurge on when eating out was ravioli’s with a creamy mushroom sauce. Since switching to a more Paleo based diet, it’s been a mini mission of mine to find ways of incorporating healthier versions of the foods I miss the most into our meal planning if possible. After having success with the creamy paleo cauliflower alfredo sauce I couldn’t wait to spin off of that recipe to create a creamy mushroom sauce! My family some days actually prefers this sauce more! Try it out for yourself and drop me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) if your family liked it as much as mine did <3
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 12-15 medium to large fresh garlic cloves
- 1 medium to large yellow onion
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup butter (from local grass-fed cows if possible for best taste)
- Sliced white button mushrooms or portabella mushrooms (6-8 ounces)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place 1 head of cut up (large chunks) cauliflower in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cover. Reduce heat slightly, keeping a slow rolling boil. Check periodically until soft (easily pierced with a knife). Then remove cauliflower pieces and place into Vitamix Blender (any large blender should work but Vitamix Blenders give the smoothest/creamiest consistency). Save 2-3 cups of the water used to boil the cauliflower for later.
- Roughly slice 1 yellow onion. Mince the 12-15 medium to large fresh garlic cloves. Roughly chop your 6-8 ounces of mushrooms.
- Add the 1 sliced yellow onion and 6-8 ounces of chopped mushrooms to 1/4 – 1/3 cup butter (from local grass-fed cows if possible for best taste) in a skillet over low to medium heat. Cook, stirring periodically until onions begin to become translucent. Then add the minced garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes (no longer or the garlic can be overcooked and the sauce won’t taste as yummy!)
- Pour the onion/mushroom/garlic/butter mix from the skillet into the Vitamix as well. Add 1 1/2 cups of the water saved from step 1. Add salt and pepper to taste. We sometimes add spices to taste (dried oregano, basil etc). Blend well.
- You may continue to add the water saved from step one if a thinner consistency is desired.
- Your done! Your sauce is ready! This sauce tastes fantastic over grilled chicken or steak and pasta or zucchini noodles!
- For an even healthier Paleo pasta option, try out these noodles that my family loves! We live north of Pittsburgh, Pa and these are found at our Giant Eagles…